It can be a challenge to find the best horse coat supplements that are also affordable, but we have found 14 on the market right now.
We will review them in detail and provide you with an overview of what they are best for. If you’re not sure which one is right for your horse, don’t worry.
We’ll start by discussing how each supplement works and then give you suggestions so that you can narrow down your decision-making process. These supplements will help improve your horses’ health while giving their coats shine and luster.
Now, check out our guide below for more info.
What are horse coat supplements?
Horse supplements are used to help a horse’s coat. The way the supplement works is that it may have protein, acids, and minerals inside of it.
Even though these types of supplements are not as good as going to a salon, they still work to improve your horse’s health.
Horses need both omega 3s and omega 6s. Fish oil, flaxseed, and rice bran are good sources for this. They can help with skin problems and hair that is not shiny.
A horse’s hair is not only nice to look at, but helps it stay safe. The horse’s hair can thin or grow depending on the weather and temperature.
It also helps the horse with its senses. Keeping your horse’s hair healthy is important for both its safety and sense of smell. Adding coat supplements to their food will make sure that it stays smooth and shiny.
Top 14 best horse coat supplements reviewed
Farnam Laser Sheen Skin & Coat Supplement
- Promotes healthy skin and radiant coat from the inside out
- Ceramides maximize skin hydration for healthy hair and a velvety-soft...
- A proper balance of omega-3 and -6 fatty acids, amino acids, vitamins,...
- Farnam Laser Sheen Skin and Coat Supplement is a healthy, targeted formula formulated to provide the nutrients needed for shiny skin and brilliant fur.
- Promoting deep hydration and healthy hair with ceramides that help reduce signs of aging.
- It also promotes radiant skin conditions that are perfect for feeling your best- just like you deserve.
- Perfect for breeds that have some sensitive skin or coat-type quirks, ours offers an essential balance of omega-3s, 6s, amino acids, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
- Your pet will be begging you to take them outside with their shiny new coat on display. You’ll love watching as they live life confidently knowing they are getting everything they need from the inside out.
- The perfect treat for mane and tail growth, Farnam Laser Sheen Skin & Coat Supplement is made in the USA by scientists skilled in all things horses.
Manna Pro Simply Flax for Horses | Omega-3 Fatty Acids from Flaxseed | 8 Pounds
- ALL-NATURAL GROUND FLAXSEED: Manna Pro Simply Flax is made with 100%...
- HEALTHY SKIN & COAT CONDITION: Ground flaxseed and omega 3s support...
- IMMUNE HEALTH: Helps maintain a healthy immune system
- Manna Pro Simply Flax contains a nutrient-dense, calorie-efficient diet to help maintain a healthy immune system and promote the growth of shiny, healthier skin.
- A significant portion of protein in standard animal feed consists of ground flaxseed supplemented with Omega 3 fatty acids.
- It is important for your horse’s overall health to include this nutritious mix in their daily bread.
- For happily satisfied horses that are always ready for action, this one might be a good choice.
Manna Pro Sho-Glo Supplement for Horses
- Sho-Glo Vitamin And Mineral. Horse Feed Supplements
- Manufacturer: MANNA PRO-EQUINE
- Manufacturer part number: 9380-20
- Your horse may need a little more than just hay and water. Give them the gift of a great coat, bright eyes, and all-around good health with the Manna Pro Sho-Glo supplement for horses.
- Bored of that same ol’ hay every day? Mix things up with some pellets to bring those shine back. If your horse is looking gloomy these days, it might be time for a vitamin booster.
- With the Manna Pro Sho-Glo supplement, don’t worry about feeding too many supplements as these ones can easily be fed as part of their daily intake by simply adding this product directly into any feed or watered down; we’ve got you covered.
- Your horses will not only thank you but they’ll show off their radiant skin very soon.
Farnam Super 14 Healthy Skin & Coat Supplement for Horses
- Sleek & shiny coat in 30 days!
- Keeps coats shiny and gleaming year-round
- Provides rich bloom and coat color
- Farnam Super 14 is the perfect supplement for any horse whose body craves an even stronger dose of flaxseed and soybean meal.
- This powerful line of supplements works to improve skin health throughout the year to help maintain the normal moisture content in dry seasons while promoting healthy tail growth when it’s time for summer shedding.
- The 44-day supply comes packaged in a convenient size, which ensures that every horse will get the best results possible without breaking your wallet.
- A healthy coat doesn’t just make your pet more beautiful; it also protects against discomfort caused by heat and cold extremes.
- And you can feel confident knowing that all Farnam products are made with nutritional oils like omega 3 & 6 fatty acids from organic sources.
Omega Horseshine The Omega 3 Supplement
- May help promote shiny, healthy coat, and smoother skin texture,...
- May help restore cracked brittle horse hooves and develops strong...
- Alleviates stiff immobile, Soothes aching muscles and shortens...
- Omega Horseshine is a horse supplement containing omega fatty acids which help maintain a shiny, healthy coat and maintain the water balance in the membrane of cells helping to strengthen horses’ hooves.
- This supplement may also help reduce sweet itch, bug bite sores, restore cracked, stiff hoof growths, and alleviate stiffness caused by muscle strains or injuries.
- It has helped pregnant mares as well as improved fertility rates among them with essential fatty acids that are important for the developing foal’s brain development.
- This product is good because it provides your horse with all types of nutrients they need for their beautiful coats making them look spectacular while keeping their muscles active giving you whole body health.
Horse Health Joint Combo Hoof & Coat
- A convenient 3-in-1 product for complete joint, hoof and coat care
- Helps support normal joint function and collagen synthesis with a...
- Provides excellent hoof conditioning with 16mg per 2oz of biotin
- The Horse Health Joint Combo is a convenient 3-in-1 product that caters to the needs of horses with problems that affect joints, hoof, and coats.
- The formula has two key ingredients which have been clinically shown to support normal joint function plus Vitamin C, manganese, and MSM—known for promoting collagen synthesis.
- 16 mg of biotin per 2oz goes toward healthy hooves so your horse can stay agile on its feet despite its pain levels.
- Horse Health Joint Combo Hoof & Coat is a combination supplement of omega fatty acids, antioxidants, and specially-formulated essential minerals which provide the total package for healthy hooves and lustrous show ring coat.
- With a high level of vitamin A to support immune function or zinc to promote growth, this pelleted feed will make your horse more competitive.
- It’s also great for older horses who need help with weight management because it helps trim unwanted pounds from your animal while maintaining their active lifestyle.
- And the age range on the label means that Horse Health Joint Combo Hoof & Coat is right at home with any type or size of horse in all life stages.
Majesty’s Omega Wafers
- FOR HORSES — Omega 3, 6, 9, and Biotin are combined to produce a...
- 1 BAG (TWO MONTH SUPPLY) — each bag contains 60 wafers, our wafers...
- NO WASTE — horses often will ignore top dressed feed with powders or...
- Majesty’s Omega Wafers is an equine supplement for paint, thoroughbreds, quarter horses, and more.
- This product contains essential supplements to improve horse health with omega fatty acids 3 6 9 in a formulated wafer that is less expensive than other nutritional products of the same type.
- This 2 month supply is economical for any budget.
- Majesty’s Omega Wafers are delicious horse feed supplements that contain the perfect proportion of molasses, oats, and apple sauce to ensure everything stays in wafer form.
- Made right here in Central Oregon, Majesty’s wafers are the most convenient way to provide your horse with essential vitamins and minerals.
Uckele Cocosoya Oil, Fatty Acid Formula for Horses
- Provides a healthy fat and cool-calorie energy source to build and...
- Promotes a healthy skin, a glossy coat and excellent body condition
- Keeps hooves nourished and moisturized by supporting the waterproof...
- Uckele Cocosoya Oil, Fatty Acid Formula for Horses provides your horse with vital nutrients and helps maintain their hooves in top shape.
- With omega-3’s to promote healthy skin and coat, this product will keep your horse looking great year-round.
- Feed it directly or add it to the supplements you already give them to reach optimal health.
- Uckele Cocosoya Oil is a delicious, flavorful additive for sensitive horses that need supplemental fats.
- The oil’s rich Omega fatty acids work to support the horse’s immune defenses and improve its ability to absorb nutrients from other supplements, which also contributes to a more healthy coat.
- With high palatability, Uckele Cocosoya Oil can be blended into feeds more easily—helping your equine maintain hydration levels during these warm summer days.
Horse Health Joint Combo Hoof & Coat
- A convenient 3-in-1 product for complete joint, hoof and coat Care
- Helps support normal joint function and collagen synthesis with a...
- Provides excellent hoof conditioning with 16mg per 2oz of Biotin
- Horse Health Joint Combo is a convenient 3-in-1 supplement for complete joint, hoof, and coat care.
- This 3.75-pound product contains many beneficial ingredients to support normal joint function and collagen synthesis: glucosamine HCl, chondroitin sulfate, vitamin C, manganese, and MSM.
- Biotin helps create healthy skin that will help your horse look good on the show ring as well as within his overall health condition.
- Horse Health Joint Combo also features omega fatty acids for healthy skin and lustrous coats because nothing spells success like a shiny head of hair.
- Horse Health Joint Combo comes in an easy format–3 tasty apple cinnamon-flavored pellets can be given daily by hand or added into a favorite grain mix.
Majesty’s Biotin Wafers
- FOR HORSES — 99% Pure Biotin with Methionine, Lysine, Zinc, and...
- ONE MONTH SUPPLY — each package contains 30 wafers, our superior...
- NO WASTE — horses often will ignore top dressed feed with powders or...
- Majesty’s Biotin Wafers are a horse supplement wafer that is easy to produce and provides copper, zinc, lysine, methionine to promote a healthy coat and hooves.
- The product contains 30 wafers per package at half the cost of other supplements with the same benefits.
- Horses will benefit from one month supply of Majesty’s biotin wafers by not having any waste on their toes or in their feed bowl while also receiving all their daily requirements of copper, zinc, lysine, methionine.
- Majesty’s Biotin Wafers are unique because they’re made of molasses, oats, and apple sauce which combine to make sure that nothing in the wafer dislodges or falls out.
- It achieves 98% feed-ability with the wafers thanks to this one-of-a-kind recipe combined with US production.
Richdel Nu-Image Hoof and Coat Support For Horses
- Scientifically Formulated Supplement Rich In Omega-3 and Omega-6 Fatty...
- Promotes A Healthy Coat, Mane and Tail For All Horses
- Provides A Show Quality Coat In As Little As Ten Days
- Richdel Nu-Image is a scientifically formulated, biotin, zinc, and lysine-rich supplement for the health of your horse’s hoofs and coat.
- With over 15 years of research into high-quality, human-grade ingredients that aid in strengthening skin elasticity and producing healthy coats with less shedding throughout the winter months.
- Richdel has found an oil formula to soothe the troubled minds of equestrians everywhere.
- Nutrient-rich Omega-3 fish oils help restore hair shine while massive doses of vitamin C restock nutrients so essential to their looks.
- No fat sustainment whatsoever due to prolonged storage.
Horse Guard Hoof & Hair Guard
- GROWS NEW HOOF STRONGER & FASTER - includes 100 mg of biotin plus...
- PROMOTES LONGER, THICKER MANES & TAILS - includes select aminio acids...
- "SHINES A HORSE UP" thanks to soy protein and oil
- Protect your horse’s hooves with Horse Guard Hoof & Hair Guard, a horseshoe supplement that is safe and gentle enough to give them every day.
- This great-tasting formula contains biotin, sulfur amino acids, proteins, dietary oil blend of soybean and alfalfa extracts– providing the best possible nutrients for proper hoof & hair growth.
- One bottle delivers one month’s supply (15 servings) at this very affordable price making it ideal for personal or professional use.
- This all-natural equine supplement improves a horses’ mane and tail by strengthening hair fibers with lysine which is an important component in the structural protein side of hair cells.
- Horse Guard Hoof & Hair Guard is essential for anyone who has their horses. Made with soy protein and oil, it’s great at shining up the horse’s coat.
- Easy to feed and economical, this product will change your life when caring for a horse.
- Horse Guard contains only the highest quality ingredients that are selected for their bio-availability, which means you have peace of mind when using the products.
Grand Coat Horse Pony Foal Skin Hooves Coat Hair Supplement
- This supplement delivers the major ingredients required for healthy skin, hooves, and coats.
- This product is made possible by Diamond V’s proprietary blend of top-quality ingredients that easily flows into any ration or ground feed.
- 5 lbs of shake mix will give your horse enough for 40 days.
- It provides a rich source of omega fatty acids essential for providing moisture to the hair follicles and fiber cells which improves oil production in the skin (leaves it feeling healthy).
- The probiotics protect your horse’s gut health.
- Lecithin contains phospholipids needed to maintain smooth ridged hoof walls while maintaining jet black shiny equine locks.
Healthy Coat Horse
- Looks are important, but so is your horse’s health.
- That’s why it was with great relief that you invested in Healthy Coat Horse. You can’t have icky-dry skin and be glamorous at the same time.
- With this treatment for your major points of concern, like dry skin and sensitivity, not only will icky flakes disappear…but dapples will grow brighter than ever.
- Your color pigments will start to even out; making the equine coat look ultra-shiny (we won’t mention ‘sparkling’ or ‘glistening’).
- Now that your mare looks like she belongs on the cover page of some prestigious high fashion magazine.
How to choose a good horse coat supplement?
Choose your budget
Some horse supplements are expensive, but that is not always the case. You can find the right blend at a reasonable price. But make sure you buy the right thing for your horse.
It can be tempting to grab something cheap, but this could be bad for your horse. You don’t need to spend a lot of money on supplements either though.
The supplement can depend on how much you buy and what is in it. It is hard to find the right brand of supplements for horses, but the ones we’ve listed above are some great options to consider.
The main components that made the supplement
Supplements for horses are mainly made of fat and protein, along with other things like vitamins and minerals. Manufacturers spend many years researching to make sure the supplements are of good quality.
Supplements usually have a mix of different ingredients, but some include omega 3, 6, methionine, lysine, zinc, copper, biotin (see our list of the best biotin supplements for horses), pyridoxine (B6), or vitamin A, etc.
Horses need proteins. Flaxseed is a good source of protein and fatty acids. They help with coat quality. And most supplements would bring you these.
Biotin is also a type of vitamin that can improve coat health. It makes the coat shiny and healthy. Vitamin B deficiencies can also lead to hair loss, so it is important to include biotin and other sources of vitamin B in their diet.
There are also supplements for horse coats that promote hoof health, which everyone will like.
Don’t forget to ask professionals
Before you buy supplements for your horse, make sure to talk to your vet. This way, you will know what needs your horse has. You can then pick out the correct supplement based on what it needs rather than guessing.
The veterinarian needs to know everything you’re feeding your horse. If you want your horse’s coat to improve, be honest with the doctor and mention all of the drugs and other supplements you are giving it.
Some ingredients might not react nicely with others, so it is best to be careful.
What does your horse like?
Your horse is your responsibility. You are the one who feeds it, grooms it, and rides it. You are also the one who knows best about what to feed a horse. If there are any changes in its skin or hooves, you will notice them first.
You can find out more about your horse and use the knowledge you have to choose the right supplements for them.
Your personal experience with your horse is important because you know how they react to certain things. All of this just goes to show how much it matters that you know your horse when selecting supplements.
What supplement is good for horses skin?
There are omega oils that help the horse’s skin. It soothes the horse’s skin and it usually forms the basis of most supplements for a horse.
How do I make my horse’s coat shiny?
You can curry your horse. That will remove dirt and dry skin from the coat. You should brush your horse every day with a hard brush and a dandy brush. Vitamins can also help to make the coat shiny.
What supplements should every horse have?
Supplements for horses include zinc, copper, manganese, iron, selenium, iodine, and cobalt. Horses get these nutrients from their food and also from blocks with salt.
Why is my horse’s coat so dry?
The answer may be that the horse has a medical condition. Some common causes are parasites, ulcers, dental disease, or not enough food. If your horse looks strange, you should go to see a veterinarian right away.
Is baby oil good for horses coat?
Baby oil is used to groom a horse. It can be inexpensive and has many uses. For example, if your horse’s mane and tail are rubbing against his coat, then you could use baby oil with mouthwash on them to make the mane and tail softer or wet dirt that is caked to the coat.
Why is my horse’s coat patchy?
Your horse may have patches on his skin. It could be because the environment is bad or it could be because he has ringworm, a fungus that invades the hair follicles of the skin.
To conclude, the most important thing to remember about coat supplements is that they are not a one-size-fits-all solution.
You need to figure out what your horse’s needs are and then choose an appropriate supplement for him/her with our list of 14 best examples in mind.
We hope you found this blog post helpful.