A horse’s joints are one of its most vital organs.
Horses use their joints to support themselves and move around, so it is important for these joints to be in good condition.
If your horse suffers from arthritis or other joint-related conditions, you may want to try a supplement that can help fight the symptoms.
This article reviews the 15 best joint supplements for horses that have been found helpful by other owners with horses experiencing joint-related problems.
It also includes an explanation of how each product works, what ingredients they contain, and how much the price range runs for each product.
Now, let’s get into it.
How to choose joint supplements for your horses
How active your four-leg friend is?
Horses can have a lot of activity, or they can be calmer. Some horses train to compete. These types of horses need different nutrients and fitness levels than other horses that are not as active.
Higher activity levels mean that their joints age faster than other horses.
When the cartilage around the horse’s joints becomes inflamed and degenerates because of repetitive load on their joints, it is important to give them joint supplements that help with inflammation and strengthen cartilage so they do not get hurt easily.
How healthy it currently is?
Your horses might get sick because they can be infected by a virus or have an infection.
The horse’s body and joints are affected because of that. Horse owners can get supplements for their horse to support their joints if the infection is not treated first.
Your veterinarian will know how to give the horse supplements to help its joints get better when it is infected by an illness.
How old is it?
Horses get old. They show signs of lameness and pain, while young horses do not. So you need a special kind of supplement for elderly horses to keep them healthy.
The current nutrition level
Joint supplements are important for a horse’s health.
You must be sure that they feed their horses properly and that they know what the horse is eating. If your horse is already getting a good diet, then there’s less need for a joint supplement.
If you’re not sure if your horse has enough vitamins and minerals in its food, talk to a vet before buying any more supplements.
Different breeds need different solutions
The nutritional value of a horse depends on what breed it is and where it lives. The metabolism of each breed is different so they need different amounts of food.
For example, if you have a fat Morgan but a thin Thoroughbred, then the Morgan needs more food for its weight because its metabolism can handle more nutrients.
Horses are warm-blooded or draft types are less hungry compared to Arab or Thoroughbred types.
Ponies, Morgens may develop metabolic syndrome which requires them to take joint supplements that are designed for these horses with this disease.
Does it have any injuries?
Horses can get hurt during work or practices for sports.
When they are hurt, it takes a long time to heal. But if they have good supplements, it will help the healing process go faster.
So find an equine professional to tell you what supplements your horse needs and then feed them those supplements.
Top 15 joint supplements for horses reviewed
Horse Health Joint Combo Hoof & Coat
- A convenient 3-in-1 product for complete joint, hoof and coat Care
- Helps support normal joint function and collagen synthesis with a...
- Provides excellent hoof conditioning with 16mg per 2oz of Biotin
- Joint Combo is a convenient 3-in-1 product for complete joint, hoof, and coat care.
- One easy-to-feed berry-flavored pellet per day will not only support normal joint function but healthy collagen synthesis too.
- It provides glucosamine HCl, chondroitin sulfate supplements in the right ratio to promote early onset of cartilage regeneration.
- Well researched doses of vitamin C, magnesium MSM provide all-around supportive action for both joints and skin/coat thickness that will look amazing no matter what your event.
- Horse Health has worked with internationally acclaimed veterinarians to create safe products that are highly palatable making this perfect for horses on many diets including hay.
Richdel Legacy Pellets Joint Support for Senior Horses, 5 lb
- Formulated specifically for senior horses
- Supports joints connective tissue and soft tissue in horses 15 years...
- Contains Glucosamine Chondroitin Sulfate MSM Yucca ester c and Vitamin...
- A dose of Richdel Legacy Joint Pellets is just the thing your arthritic, senior horse needs. These pellets are carefully formulated with key nutrients to support horses’ joints and connective tissue.
- Calcium helps maintain bone mass and prevent injury. Glucosamine lengthens the period before arthritis sets in by lubricating joints between bones.
- Chondroitin sulfate also supports joint connectivity, strengthening soft tissues like ligaments, tendons and cartilage.
- Vitamin E makes these benefits last longer by breaking down fatty compounds that cause deterioration of healthy cells around joints like synovial fluid – keeping them fresh for longer.
- This supplement isn’t designed to put a stop to your horse’s debilitations; it’s intended as a dietary that can help your old horse live a much happier life.
Absorbine Flex+Max Horse Joint Supplement Pellets
- Optimized pellets for advanced joint health and mobility
- Highly concentrated joint and connective tissue formula
- Absorbine Flex+Max combines many of today’s newest joint supplement ingredients to provide your horse with advanced joint health and mobility.
- It begins with glucosamine, MSM, chondroitin which are all important building blocks for healthy joints.
- These factors as well as blended flaxseed oil enable the highest absorption into the body to support optimum results that you need from a great product.
- In addition to those key ingredients, this specially blended formulation contains premium levels of chia seed extract and Boswellia serrata supplied from organic farms in South America.
- Both long-trusted herbs used by other species for centuries to manage their weight or entertain achy joints.
Nutramax Cosequin ASU Equine Powder
- #1 Veterinarian recommended
- Broad spectrum joint support in a tasty powder
- ASU potentiates the activity of glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate
- Nutramax Cosequin ASU Equine Powder is the #1 Veterinarian recommended and equine-specific broad spectrum joint support.
- It comes in a tasty powder with ASU potentiates the activity of glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate.
- This proprietary formula combines two scientifically researched ingredients, Bioavailable Chondroitin Sulfate (BCS) and Avian Substance U (ASU), to create an effective formula providing powerful support for equine joints.
- Its unsurpassed quality combined with professional strength makes this product a convenient way to help your horse enjoy increased mobility.
Manna Pro Sho-Flex Supplement for Horses
- ADVANCED JOINT RELIEF: Manna Pro Sho-Flex supports optimal joint...
- OPTIMAL INGREDIENTS FOR JOINT HEALTH: Formulated with high levels of...
- MAINTAINS CONNECTIVE TISSUE: Helps maintain joints and connective...
- Manna Pro Sho-Flex is the most specialized supplement on the market for maintaining optimal joint health and mobility in your horse.
- Maintaining healthy joints ensures that your horse can perform at its best, no matter what stunts they are performing.
- This advanced formula provides high levels of MSM to penetrate deep into joints and connective tissues so they can be more flexible while aging.
- Glucosamine HCl helps support cartilage production for durability over time.
- Chondroitin sulfate provides essential lubrication or cushioning between body parts during movement by attracting water molecules that promote flexibility.
- Vitamin C supports a vibrant immune system crucial for the optimum performance of all horses.
Manna Pro Rapid Flex
- COMPLETE JOINT SUPPLEMENT: Manna Pro Rapid Flex utilizes joint...
- FAST ACTING GUARANTEED: Unique, patented formula delivers fast and...
- CLINICALLY PROVEN: Contains proven ingredients of Glucosamine HCl,...
- Manna Pro Rapid Flex is a natural gluten-free joint supplement that makes horses’ joints stronger.
- It’s made with the patented formula of the three key nutrients Glucosamine HCl, Chondroitin Sulfate, and Hyaluronic Acid.
- The ingredients are proven to help maintain joint health to allow for flexibility without pain.
- That’s not all; 9 herbs provide ultimate protection against stiff joints caused by inflammatory diseases like arthritis or other muscle issues.
- Horses love the special anise flavor too – it gets them licking their lips for more.
Richdel MSM Joint Support for Horses
- ►4 pounds of 99 percent MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane) powder
- ►Supports healthy joint function for all horses and dogs
- ►This 4 pound bucket contains a 184 day supply for 1 adult horse
- Richdel’s MSM Joint Support for Horses has 4 pounds of 99 percent Methylsulfonylmethane or MSM.
- This product is great for all horses and can potentially benefit joint function in each animal.
- It features a 184 day supply to assist with joint health and circulation, making it ideal for both elderly animals and those with inflamed joints.
- MSM supports healthy joint function by improving the body’s ability to form proteoglycans (PG), which help build bone cartilage.
- Chondroitin sulfate (CS), which strengthens ligaments; and hyaluronic acid (HA), the main component of synovial fluid that helps cushion joints against wear and tear.
AniMed Glucosamine 5000 Powder 5 lb
- Country Of Origin: United States
- Model Number: 90417
- Item Package Dimension: 14.7" L x 20.0" W x 20.2" H
- AniMed Glucosamine 5000 Powder will help keep your joints healthy and strong.
- It is made with the most trusted ingredients for joint support, and it’s easy to feed on top of their regular food or using AniMed BEEFAREE.
- What sets this supplement apart from competitors is that it can be fed both as a powder and as a pour-on which maintains its benefits even when they are inactive.
Farnam Joint Fluid Supplement with Glucosam Sulfate
- Contains glucosamine, chondroitin, perna mussel, Ester-C* and MSM to...
- Special bromelain enzyme solution absorbs quickly and digests easily
- Exclusive fluid formula
- Farnam Joint Fluid Supplement is a leap forward in horse joint care.
- Made from all-natural ingredients, this supplement helps to lubricate your pet’s joints to reduce inflammation and pain caused by cartilage breakdown.
- Manufactured with the individual animal’s specific needs in mind, this particular supplement features glucosamine for cats, Perna mussel for horses, Ester C for dogs over 12 pounds, MSM powder plus bromelain enzyme solution that absorbs quickly and digests easily.
- With age ranges spanning all life stages and sizes available: 16 oz., 32 oz., and gallon containers—Farnam has crippled aging pets covered.
Vita Flex Pro MSM Joint Supplement
- America's choice for purity, quality and value joint supplement for...
- Contains the primary metabolite of DMSO, a true source of sulfur.
- Odorless, white crystalline granules are easy-to-give
- Keep your pet moving in a healthy direction with Vita Flex Pro’s MSM joint supplement.
- Whether they’re young, old, or middle-aged, our formula is the perfect fit to keep joints clean and resilient for a lifetime of activity.
- The larger size makes administering this beneficial product easy.
- It doesn’t have an odor and comes in crystalline granules that are easily eaten by animals.
- Perfect for horses, dogs, or cats.
Formula 707 Daily Fresh Packs Equine Supplements
- Sustain healthy joints in your performance horses and keep senior...
- Aids in reducing inflammation and supporting soft tissues with...
- Accurate, pre-measured packs are convenient and easy to use.
- One way to keep your horse in top form is with a daily dose of Formula 707 complete supplement for joints.
- Benefit from superior ingredients that support the safety and strength of your horse’s cartilage, tendons, ligaments, and joints.
- The gentle formula also reduces inflammation and can enhance lubrication through glucosamine, collagen, MSM, and chondroitin.
- Formula 707 Joint Supplement comes in the form of daily fresh packs- pre-measured sachets designed to make following a joint supplement easy and seamless even when you’re on the go.
- The unique formulation contains only pharmaceutical-grade fish oils derived from small oily fish for optimum purity and guaranteed nutritional complexity.
- Ensuring your horse gets everything they need for their joints without any additives or artificial flavorings.
- You can just add water to one of our pre-measured packets every day until it’s gone or until you finish 3 months’ worth of supply.
NUSENTIA Horse Joint Supplement
- Great Value : for Natural Joint Supplement for Horses. Includes...
- Effective : Recommended for horses with hip and joints issues....
- Easy to Use : Liquid formula, just add to water or feed. Highly...
- NUSENTIA Horse Joint Supplement is a liquid formula that provides optimal joint health, flexibility, and mobility.
- This natural supplement contains concentrated supplements for horses.
- Including Glucosamine, Chondroitin, MSM, and manganese to prevent inflammation making it an excellent product for older horses who have shown signs of arthritis.
- Feeding just two teaspoons will provide your horse all the necessary nutrients he or she needs plus they are highly recommended because of their palatable taste that even finicky eaters won’t turn down.
Vita Flex Horse Supplement
- Works with Lactanase to help maintain muscle strength & metabolism...
- Recovery contains specific ingredients that help provide an...
- Delivers a combination of antioxidants effective in reducing...
- Vita Flex is a supplement designed to help prevent muscle fatigue and soreness before, during, and after intense workouts.
- Created with the fitness enthusiast in mind, Vita Flex helps maintain your muscles’ ability to perform so you can continue giving it your all.
- It also contains no prohibited substances on the show circuit which allows you to avoid disqualification by using this product for its intended purpose.
- Finally, our ingredients are specifically designed to reduce exercise-related stress on the body consciously choosing natural options that produce less oxidative damage than synthetic ones.
- With all these features in one easy-to enhance the package, Vita Flex will have you feeling stronger and healthier sooner rather than later.
- Vita Flex Horse Supplement is scientifically engineered to help give your horse cartilage, injury recovery, and muscle growth.
- With ingredients like Lactanase Pre-Performance Turf Feed Supplement that provide nutrients for optimal performance and conversion of products of glycoses (pyruvate) to acetyl coenzyme A.
Corta-Flex Equine Joint Supplement
- OPTIMAL JOINT FUNCTION: Helps maintain healthy joints and connective...
- BETTER UTILIZATION OF INGREDIENTS: Corta-Flx isolates penetrate...
- UNIQUE AND SUPERIOR ADVANTAGE: Comparable to key active ingredients...
- A therapeutic supplement for horses designed to help maintain healthy joints and connective tissue.
- Achieves this by better supporting outer cellular walls, with enhanced bioavailability of key active ingredients in the cell membrane that is penetrating through the cell wall more effectively when compared to chondroitin or glucosamine.
- Corta-Flex stands out from its competitors due primarily to a cost-effective blend of clinically proven proprietary compounds.
- We provide a comprehensive list of supportive supplements which will be particularly beneficial if your horse has been diagnosed with degenerative joint disease or requires additional support for optimal performance.
- With numerous clinical trials underway, we are confident about our ability to maximize the potential functionality and mobility of not just your joints but also your immune system.
Nutramax Laboratories Cosequin ASU Plus
- #1 Veterinarian recommended
- Comprehensive equine joint health support
- Contains high quality hyaluronic acid and green tea extract
- The newest breakthrough in equine joint health is right here with Nutramax Laboratories Cosequin ASU Plus.
- This powerful supplement packs a punch with high-quality hyaluronic acid and green tea extract to keep your equine partner feeling great.
- With a veterinarian’s seal of approval, it’s no wonder this product tops the list for top recommended items from veterinarians across America-it really takes care of all aspects of proper horse care.
- All-natural formula without any side effects, proving that you’re not just caring for your pet-you’re also giving them excellent nutrition that protects their joints, ligaments, and bones too.
- An investment into the future happiness and vitality of all horses nationwide.
Are joint supplements effective for horses?
Joint supplements are helpful for horses.
They can help them move more easily and they can help them feel better. But you need to choose a product that contains the ingredient MSM because horses have different weight distribution than humans.
It’s important for your horse’s joints to stay healthy, so feed it something with MSM in it.
What do you give a horse for joints?
There are many different types of supplements that you can give your horse. Some are better than others.
You should talk to a vet to find out which ones are best for your horse’s needs, but the most common types of joint supplements are MSM, Glucosamine, Chondroitin Sulfate, Hyaluronic Acid, Resveratrol, and Omega-3s.
What does Cosequin do for horses?
Cosequin helps horses by helping to support healthy joints. It works by inhibiting enzymes that break down cartilage and supports the cartilage.
Which is better for horses glucosamine or MSM?
Glucosamine and chondroitin work together. It is best if the products contain the right amount of each ingredient.
MSM (methylsulfonylmethane) is an anti-inflammatory when fed at a dose of 20,000 mg/day.
What is best to give a horse with clicky joints?
Clicky joints are hard on horses.
One thing that helps with this is Adequan, which is a joint supplement. It contains PSGAGs (things in the body like joint cartilage).
You give them the normal dose of 5-7 injections 5 days apart followed by once-a-month shots for maintenance.
How can I help my horse’s joints?
The horse’s joints need to be protected. One way to do this is by giving them healthy food. It also might be a good idea to set their training regimen according to their age and make sure they do low-impact exercises.
Take care of your horse’s hooves so they are not too hard on their joints when they walk and keep them fit by making sure they can move around.
If you have a veterinarian, ask if the horse should have injections for its joints.
As you can see, it is not easy to find the best joint supplement for horses.
There are many choices and manufacturers that make them all sound like they will do wonders on your horse’s joints.
When deciding what type of joint supplement to purchase, always consider the price point but also check out their reputation and try to get as much information about each product before making a decision.
We hope this list has been helpful in narrowing down some of those options.
Let us know which one you choose or if there is another great option we missed below.